Sulphur Mountain Gondola
Banff & Lake Louise Tourism / Paul Zizka Photography

ROAM Transit
Roam Transit provides a shuttle service between The Banff Centre and the town of Banff. Hours of service are limited to 7:00-10:00 am and 4:00-7:30 pm and the fare is $2.00 one-way. Click here for the current schedule.
Click here for the route map and where the bus stops.

Getting into the Town of Banff
The Banff Centre for Arts & Creativity is located on the east side of Banff, four blocks from Banff Avenue, the main street in town. It is about a 10-minute downhill walk from The Banff Centre into town, but a bit longer on the way back as it is an uphill walk. Travelling into town by taxi is about $10 each way.

Banff National Park
Banff National Park is part of the Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks UNESCO World Heritage Site. Passengers in their own or rented vehicles are required to purchase a valid park pass for each passenger for each day being spent in the parks. Click here for helpful information about park passes and the associated fees.

Banff & Lake Louise Tourism / Paul Zizka Photography


Travel Visas to Enter Canada
Click here for information about whether you are required to obtain a travel visa to enter Canada. Be sure to check with the Canadian Embassy or Consulate for your jurisdiction about visa processing times, and allow sufficient lead time for your application to be processed.

If you will require a letter of invitation from the IAPWS Canadian National Committee to accompany your visa application, please submit your request to the IAPWS Logistics Coordinator well in advance of your planned travel.

Requirement for Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA. With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you want for short stays (normally for up to six months at a time). You do not need an eTA for travel within Canada.

Details are on the Government of Canada website

Calgary International Airport (YCC)
Calgary International Airport is the hub for Air Canada and WestJet, and is also serviced by several other major airlines providing non-stop flights between an array of destinations in North America, Central America, Europe, and Asia.

White Hat Team
Calgary International Airport's White Hat Volunteers have greeted travellers from around the world for 25 years and are a true testament to Calgary’s warm western hospitality. These volunteers can be found almost anywhere in the airport, dressed in their iconic white cowboy hats and red vests, ready to lend a helping hand and answer your questions.

Ground Tranportation
There are two options for ground transportation from Calgary International Airport to Banff. Check out their websites for schedules and rates for one-way and round-trip fares.
The Banff Airporter
Brewster Express

Banff National Park Passes
All visitors who enter Banff National Park are required to purchase a national park pass for the duration of their visit. The Banff Centre is located within the national park, so IAPWS 2019 participants will need to purchase a pass.

If you will be driving to Banff in your own vehicle or a rental car, you can purchase a pass at the entrance gates to Banff National Park or at one of the Banff Visitor Centres that are open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Banff Visitor Centre
224 Banff Avenue, Banff, AB T1L 1C3 

Banff Heritage Railway Station
327 Railway Avenue, Banff, AB T1L 1A9

A Day Pass is $9.80 per day, and includes admission to the national parks, but not national historic sites. A Discovery Pass is $67.70 and is valid for one year, and provides access to all national parks, national historic sites, and national marine conservation areas operated by Parks Canada. Depending upon the length of your stay, it may be more cost-effective to purchase a Discovery Pass vs a daily pass.

 Please note: Park pass receipts must be printed on paper and displayed prominently on the left-hand side of the vehicle dashboard to have valid entry to the park. Those who are not driving a vehicle must carry their printed park pass with them.

Banff Tourism
For information about everything that Banff offers to enhance your IAPWS experience go to